Mega Metal zine
Mega Metal(Tom): What is your name and current position in the band?
- I’m Khaoth and I play drums in KHORS band since ‘2004, from the beginning
Mega Metal(Tom): Tell us about the history of the band. More specifically, when was the band formed, how did you meet, and have there been any particular highlights or low points in your career, any crucial events that have taken you where you are today?
- It was in Summer of 2004 when I’ve got call phone from Khorus, bass guitar player of ASTROFAES band. He told me that he left his current band and he’s searching for a musicians for the new one, playing a little bit another kind of music but still in black metal vein. We always been in very good friendly attitutes with Khorus and it was interesting for me to help him with his new project. In two we started to reherase and some rehearsals we played in bass & drums only while guitar/singer Helg was invited to join us some weeks later. The first album we prepared in three and we started to record it till the end of 2004 year. Our debut abum was released in Spring 2005 by local Oriana Record. That year we invited second guitar player Nort from NAGUAL band and till the end of 2005 we started to play live. From that time till now we played a lot of shows, recorded two more albums which was released in many formats, changed management and so on. There was many of moments in our career bright and dark but we think we’re on a proper way.
Mega Metal(Tom): Do you remember how the idea of forming the band first came up?
- When Khorus played in ASTROFAES he felt a little bit tired with music and sound of latest releases in last years he played there. He liked to play more atmospheric yet melodic kind of black metal with more qualitative records so one day he left that band to gather the new one.
Mega Metal(Tom): How long after you formed was it until you played your first live show?
- Our first live performance was in Lugansk city which is on the East of Ukraine. It was in October of 2005 but we gathered up in August 2004 so as you can see a year and half of passed since the beginning of our career.
Mega Metal(Tom): What are your memories of the performance?
- It was definitely great. Many of famous Ukrainian bands played there and KHORS among them so it was pleasure for us to play in that company as well as before big crowd of fans. Good sound, good performance, good memories.
Mega Metal(Tom): Tell us about the band’s name?
- Khors is God of the sun in East Slavonic mythologies. His name rises to Scythian-Sarmatian language. So the meaning of root “Khor” is the sun, solar disc. Khor still means the sun in Ossetic language.
Mega Metal(Tom): What is your latest album and why should people buy it?
- Our latest album namely “Mysticism” is our most mature, complete and qualitative record. We think this is the best album in our discography at the moment so if you like to listen what the KHORS band is we recommend you to check our latest record.
Mega Metal(Tom): How would you categorize the style of the band? And did you ever consider or try playing other styles of music than the one(s) you are playing now?
- All of us played in different bands before KHORS. Helg played satanic black/death in RUNES OF DIANCEHT band, Nort plays in NAGUAL band and they play something like avatgarde black metal, Khorus played fast black metal in ASTROFAES and I played death metal in TESSARACT, doom metal in LITIJA and SIDERIS NOCTEM bands, black metal in HATE FOREST, ASTROFAES. As for considering our music style so it’s a little bit different from album to album. We’re starting from straight mid-tempo black metal but on our second album we represented almost the same style but much melodic. We think that the music on our third album has wider frameworks for definitions. It’s dark and sad while romantic and atmospheric music on platform of black metal.
Mega Metal(Tom): Can you share with us one or two of your favorite moments with the band?
- It’s hard to note a couple of favourite moments only but I mention only the ones I think really bright and those are our performance on big festival last year, great realization of our latest stuff and also I remember nice times of recording process of it.
Mega Metal(Tom): Does the entire band contribute to the writing process?
- Khorus and Helg bring some riffs, sometimes whole song and we’re making arrangements together.
Mega Metal(Tom): How important do you rate the lyrical side of your albums?
- It’s very important so we approach to this deal with the big share of accuracy
Mega Metal(Tom): What are your current tour plans, if any?
- Right now we’re going to play some shows in Russia and to play on big fest namely Pro-Rock in Kiev, Ukraine in July.
Mega Metal(Tom): Describe your live performance?
- We always try to choose a combination of tracks for it to be much interesting for people coming to our show. We have good soung engineer in our staff, it is Michael ‘Maiden’ Smirnov who sing on the last track in “Mysticism” album so we have good sound on our live performance thanks to him. Actually one can check some video tracks on YouTube to see better.
Mega Metal(Tom): Let’s talk a little about the band’s equipment list. What is everyone playing and do you have endorsements?
- Sure we don’t have any endorsements but we hope we’ll have one day. Guitar players use Moser and Jackson guitars, POD pedals, Dean bass. I use Sabian cymbals, Pearl pedals, Sonor hardware and so on…
Mega Metal(Tom): What one CD should everyone have in their collection?
- Can’t note the very one CD ?
Mega Metal(Tom): Tell us about your local music scene?
- Ukraine has big and interesting underground music scene. A lot of cities you can play live in. We had one big metal fest here till this year, but now there’re three of with famous headliners playing there. A number of great bands well known outside of Ukraine and some of them are very famous Worldwide. Unfortunately economic situation here in Ukraine can’t allow musicians to give due quantity of time for music so a lot of them play when have free from the basic work time.
Mega Metal(Tom): Why do you think people are into your music?
- Each kind of music are reflection of ideas, thoughts, feelings so if anybody feels our music treads on his corns then he stays with us
Mega Metal(Tom): Thanks for answering these questions. Do you have any last comments or words of advice for the readers of Mega Metal?
- Thank you for your good question, thank you, the reader, for your attention. Let there be great times for all of us! Glorify a heritage of your Land!